Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Chariots of Fire (1981)

If asked what my favorite movie is, I can't really fall on one. But if a gun was put to my head and I had to pick one, this would very likely be it. This is a great, great film. There are so many aspects to it that endear me.

The photography is beautiful. The music by Vangelis sets the perfect tones and atmosphere. The performances are articulate and moving. I love that it deals with the idea of absolute truth and adherence to it. I don't personally believe that one cannot work on the Sabbath (or Sunday), but I do believe that if an individual believes it (as Eric Liddell did) he is obligated to be captive to that weight of conscience.

Liddell's faith is also presented in a very natural and positive manner. He uses the attraction of fans at a race as an opportunity to present the gospel. Many films with gospel presentations insert them in between plot points in a clumsy manner that pulls you out of the movie, not so here.

I love the juxtaposition of Abrahams and Liddell. One cares only to further himself, the other only to further God's glory. One is consumed with himself, the other with God. The exciting thing is to see both win, but to see the difference in how it affects them and what that says about their motivations.

At the end of the film, after Liddell is chastised and ridiculed for holding to his faith, then given a chance to race in an event he is not as familiar with, he reads the note that says "He who honors Me, will be honored". That moment always gets my heart pumping and you just want to see Eric "put his head back". I love this movie, if you haven't seen it, please go check it out!

No comments: